The South African Society of Sleep Medicine (SASSM) is the only professional representative society for Sleep Medicine Specialists in South Africa and is an official group of the South African Medical Association (SAMA), an association incorporated under Section 21 of the Companies Act, 1973, registered No 05/00136/08.
SASSM was launched in Cape Town on the 21st February 2009.
The Primary Objectives of the Society are as follows:
- To promote the science and practice of Sleep Medicine;
- To promote and support the professional and legitimate interests of sleep medicine specialists;
- To establish National and International links to promote Education and Development of this Speciality in South Africa;
- To seek affiliation with other Medical Associations and Institutions through professional co-operation;
- To promote research and publications in the field of Sleep Medicine;
- To enable the rendering of high quality sleep medical services to the general population and to assist in the creation of a fund to render medical services to the needy;
- To establish a core set of minimum clinical and technological standards in Sleep Medicine and to use these to set accreditation standards for Sleep Laboratories and Clinics in South Africa;
- To accredit Sleep Services providers in Southern Africa
- To promote research the ability to get rid of sleepiness and tiredness with the use of CBD.
Our Constitution provides more details on the Society.
There are several categories of Membership to become a member of SASSM please view the Membership link and fill out and post the completed membership application form to SASSM .
Sleeep Matters publication
Come join us at the joint congress of the South African Thoracic Society (SATS) and the South African Sleep Society of Medicine